The College of Social and Behavioral Sciences (CSBS) offers both need and merit based scholarships for students planning to choose a major within the college. These scholarships can be awarded in conjunction with general university scholarships.
Students should demonstrate some interest in a major in CSBS, but do not need to decide on a major to be awarded a scholarship.
Where to Start?
The UNI Scholarship Application is the best way for students to investigate scholarship opportunities and apply.
The priority deadline for all UNI scholarships is January 15.
Not all scholarships are for new students! You can fill out the UNI Scholarship Application each year.
Many scholarships are specific to your major and new scholarships frequently appear.
Be sure to also renew your FAFSA starting January 1 to be considered for need-based scholarships.
CSBS scholarships for new students include, but are not limited to, the following:
- The SBS Scholarship Program awards scholarships on the basis of academic merit to entering freshmen who expect to major in one of the degree programs of CSBS. Awards are given in amounts up to $6,000 per year and have the potential to be renewed for up to four years of funding.
- The Alderman Scholars Program provides assistance to "needy, worthy and appreciative students" within CSBS. The program is open to entering freshmen, current undergraduates and undergraduates transferring to the University of Northern Iowa. Awards are given in amounts up to $6,000 per year and have the potential to be renewed for up to four years of funding.
- CSBS Multicultural Scholarships are awarded to entering freshmen who identify with an underrepresented racial, cultural, or ethnic background and who expect to major in one of the degree programs of CSBS. Academic achievement, involvement, and degree of financial need may also be considered.
- Transfer Student Scholarships are available to incoming transfer students with 30 or more credits. Awards range from $500 to $1000 per year and have the potential for renewal.
- Visit the UNI Scholarship Directory to search for scholarships specific to your major!
Apply for all scholarships online at finaid.uni.edu/scholarship
Tips for Submitting your Application
Not a problem! Just be sure to show your interest in a CSBS major.
Essays = Important
Be sure to fill out all optional essays! It’s how we’ll get to know you best and can absolutely help your chances.
Questions? Reach out!
Rowena Tan, PhD.
College of Social and Behavioral Sciences