Master of Social Work Admissions Information
The following information covers the minimum requirements for admission. Please be aware that meeting these minimum requirements does not ensure admission to the program. The Department of Social Work reserves the right to limit admissions.
The Master of Social Work Program at the University of Northern Iowa is fully accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE). Students who graduate from our program are eligible to sit for the LMSW (Licensed Master of Social Work) exam. In most cases, the LMSW is easily transferable across state lines.
- The Two-year Foundation Program is open to individuals whose baccalaureate degree is not in social work. Classes for the two-year program will begin with the start of classes each Fall.
- The Advanced Standing Program is open to those individuals who have completed a baccalaureate in social work degree from a program accredited by CSWE. Classes for the Advanced Standing program will begin each Summer.
- The Distance Education Program is open to both Foundation and Advanced Standing students and is part-time only.
- Our next Foundation cohort will begin classes in Spring 2023 and applications will be due September 1st, 2022
- Our next Advanced Standing cohort will begin Spring 2022 and applications due Sept 1st, 2021.
The on-campus programs offer both full-time and extended-enrollment (part-time) options. Students who choose the extended-enrollment option must be able to attend classes at the times offered (3 hr. blocks) and must be available for the field practicum. Most practicums take place at agencies that operate during regular business hours (9 am to 5 pm).
Scholarships and Graduate Assistantships
If you are applying for our full-time, two-year or advanced standing programs and wish to be considered for a tuition scholarship and/or a graduate assistantship, please be sure to complete the Application for Graduate Tuition Scholarship and/or Application for Graduate Assistantship Stipend forms and return with your application materials.
Deadlines and Questions
The application deadline for the Spring 2021 Foundation distance education program is now closed. Applications for the on-campus program will be accepted through December 20, 2020, for classes that begin Summer 2021 (advanced standing) and Fall 2021 (foundation). Please contact the Social Work office at (319) 273-5910 with any questions.
Forms and Additional Information: