Social Work Licensure

To sit for the Licensure Exam:

You will need to register with both the ASWB for the exam, and with the State of Iowa, Division of Public Health-IA Board of Social Work, for the license.  See the following IDPH site. Candidates now need to create an online profile at

MSW students interested in taking the licensing exam early, (this means no earlier than the 1st week of the semester of your last semester), email Ashley Rasmussen the request that you want to take the exam prior to graduating.  The Social Work Department has a prepared letter that Dr. Juby will sign.  This is sent to you to add to their application materials.  

There are online MSW licensing exam prep materials available for check out at UNI's Rod Library.


1.  Iowa Board of Social Work licensure - fill out an application with them:

2.  Contact the Association of Social Work Boards - pay the testing fee to them.

3.  Examinations are administered by appointment at Pearson Professional Centers worldwide. There are no fixed administration dates. Instead, registered candidates can go to Pearson VUE’s website to schedule a time to take the test. 



UNI does not offer exam classes but you can access the NASW Iowa Chapter online prep training any time through Passitpro™

Other Resources: