School Social Work Endorsement

Becoming a School Social Worker in the State of Iowa

The State of Iowa requires MSW's practicing as School Social Workers to obtain a specialized endorsement (credential) through the Iowa Board of Educational Examiners. 

There are two paths to obtain this endorsement:

  1. Completing specialized coursework while obtaining an MSW degree
  2. Obtaining a Statement of Professional Recognition (SPR) prior to or once hired by an Area Education Agency or School District. 

Both options are described in detail below.