Graduate Student Transfer Credit
Transferring Credits into UNI's MSW Program
Occasionally, the Department of Social Work receives inquiries from students who have already completed graduate credit hours at UNI or at other institutions. The following sections provide more information on our policies and procedures regarding our ability to accept graduate credit hours obtained outside of our MSW program. Additional information can be found through the link below to the Graduate College's Policies from the Academic Catalog.
Occasionally, newly admitted MSW students have accumulated graduate level credit hours at UNI or at other institutions whether through a degree-program or other non-degree seeking graduate-level work. These students have completed the admissions process and have been offered admission to UNI’s MSW program, including meeting all deadlines and providing all required application components. The Department of Social Work follows the Graduate College’s Policies regarding such a general transfer of credits.
The following procedures (following the Graduate College’s process) apply to students admitted to the program who wish to count previously earned graduate credits towards their MSW degree completion:
- As soon as possible after admittance, the student should discuss with their advisor their desire to count previously earned credits towards the MSW degree requirements.
- The advisor will determine if the transfer course(s) meet the requirements for credit transfer. The advisor should seek clarification from the MSW Program Director if there are questions regarding a course meeting the MSW degree requirements.
- After a completed course has been ruled eligible, the student will submit an online request: Graduate transfer course credit approval to transfer the course and use it on the graduate degree. Application of eligible transfer courses to the UNI degree program requires approval by the department/graduate program on the student request.
Current students considering taking a course at another institution to use towards their UNI degree should obtain approval from the MSW Program Director prior to enrolling in the course.
The student should submit the official transcript(s) from concurrent enrollment to the Office of Admissions upon completion of the course.
The student will then submit an online request: Graduate transfer course credit approval to transfer the course and use it on the graduate degree. Application of eligible transfer courses to the UNI degree program requires approval by the department/graduate program on the student request.
Occasionally, the Department of Social Work receives inquiries from students who have obtained graduate level credit hours from another CSWE-accredited MSW program and now wish to seek an MSW degree at UNI instead. In these instances, the Department of Social Work has additional policies regarding transferring into UNI’s MSW program from a different accredited MSW program.
The UNI MSW program accepts requests for such transfers with rolling deadlines throughout the academic year (unlike our general admissions procedures, which have one annual admittance deadline).
Prospective students must make a request for transfer consideration to the MSW Program Director at least four weeks prior to the start of the term in which they plan to begin their studies in UNI’s MSW program.
The following procedures apply to students who have earned graduate credits through another CSWE-accredited MSW program and wish to transfer into UNI’s MSW program. Once the student has been admitted to the MSW program, the Department relies on the Graduate College Policies.
- The MSW Program Director responds directly to the prospective student inquiring about transferring into the MSW program from a different accredited-MSW program.
- In order for both the department and the prospective student decide if this option suits the student, the student will submit their unofficial transcripts directly to the MSW Program Director as well as specifying which term the student intends to start at UNI.
- Based on the student’s transcripts, the MSW Program Director will determine an individualized plan of study for the student. Likely, this plan of study will involve an extended enrollment due to the fixed annual offering of courses within the MSW program.
- The MSW Program Director will share this plan of study with the prospective student.
- If at that time, the student would like to proceed with enrollment, the student will be directed to complete the Application for Graduate Study through UNI’s Graduate College webportal, including providing official transcripts and all other required written application materials.
- Once the completed application materials are received, the MSW Program Director and at least one member of the MSW Graduate Admissions Committee will meet with the prospective student to complete the second-stage interview process.
- The MSW Program Director and the Graduate Admissions Committee will make a decision regarding admission for the prospective student and the student will be notified via the regular admissions process.
- Following the student’s admission to UNI’s MSW program, the UNI Graduate College’s process for General Transfer Credits applies.