The UNI Substance Abuse Counseling Certificate is designed to prepare social work* majors for the field of substance abuse treatment. Education and training received partially fulfills state certificate requirements. To be awarded this certificate, students must complete the requirements for the Social Work major (including graduation with the B.A.) and
the specific course work and field instruction experiences as indicated.

Must be a MAJOR IN SOCIAL WORK to complete this program certificate.


UNI's substance abuse certificate is designed to prepare social work majors for the field of substance abuse treatment.


Required coursework includes a field instruction course - 11-15 credit hours within an approved child welfare setting.

Solely for
Social Work

This certificate is specifically designed to accompany a Bachelor of Arts in Social Work degree.

Want to learn more?

Fill out your information here and we'll be in touch!

Contact us directly at:

Department of Social Work
Sabin Hall, Room 235
Cedar Falls, IA 50614

Undergraduate Program:
Ashley Rasmussen
Phone: 319-273-6249

Undergraduate Majors RFI Form

Required Courses

  • SW 4171 Addictions Treatment

3** of the following:

  • PSYCH 3102 Drugs &Individual Behavior
  • SW 4175 Child Welfare Policy & Practice
  • FAM SERV 3145/5145 Violence in Intimate Relationships
  • FAM SERV 3160/5160 Family Assessment & Intervention
  • CRIM 3228 Mental Health & the Criminal Justice System
  • FAM SERV 1020 Family Relationships

TOTAL: 12 Credit Hours

**Course substitutions are possible – please see Certificate Coordinator.