The Department of History offers several full and half assistantships each semester. Please review application details below, or contact Graduate Coordinator Dr. Calderón.
Graduate Assistant - Department of History
Terms of Employment
- For the fall semester: 20 hours per week for full assistantship or 10 hours per week for half assistantship beginning August 22, 2022 and ending December 16, 2022. Does not include the week of Thanksgiving Break.
- For the spring semester: 20 hours per week for full assistantship or 10 hours per week for half assistantship beginning January 17, 2023 and ending May 12, 2023. Does not include the week of Spring Break.
- Does not work during the interims between semesters.
- Full assistantship salary is $5,476 per semester, for the 2022-23 academic year; half assistantships of $2,738 per semester may be awarded.
- Graduate Assistants may qualify for in-state tuition and fees.
- Must be a full-time, degree-seeking student in the Department of History graduate program.
- Must be enrolled in 9 graduate-level credit hours.
- Maintain a UNI cumulative GPA of at least 3.00.
- A newly admitted graduate student must have at least a 3.0 GPA for undergraduate or previous graduate work of at least 8 graded credit hours.
- Assist faculty with instructional tasks such as organizing and handing out readings, notes, and exams. Proctoring exams as needed. (Excludes the routine teaching of regularly scheduled classes.)
- Gather information for use by departmental faculty and staff in evaluation, recruitment, retention, and outreach to students, alumni, and donors.
- Support faculty research by providing a variety of research services.
Application Process and Deadlines
- Email the completed Graduate Assistantship Application Form.
- Provide 2 signed letters of reference to Cori Martin at Cordelia.Martin@uni.edu.
- Questions should be directed to Graduate Coordinator Dr. Calderón.
Applications are due February 1. For more information on the Graduate Assistantship System and procedures, see grad.uni.edu/funding.