down arrowMenu

College of Social and Behavioral Sciences

Application Information & Forms

  1. Students must have a 3.0 GPA for regular admission.  Under special circumstances, a student with less than a 3.0 may be admitted provisionally, but they must earn at least a 3.0 GPA in their first semester to remain in the program.
  2. Students may be admitted during the fall or spring semester.  There is no deadline for turning in admittance paperwork for either semester.
  3. Applicants wishing to be considered for an assistantship for the fall semester must submit completed assistantship and tuition scholarship applications by February 1 of each year. 
  4. Graduate assistantships are awarded to the best qualified applicants on a competitive basis. Assistantship awards consist of two parts: a stipend earned by working as a research assistant for a faculty member; and a full tuition scholarship. These may be awarded together or separately.
  5. Although students may begin the program in the fall or in the spring semester, assistantships are generally awarded on an academic year basis only. Typically, students beginning the program in the spring semester would only be given consideration for an assistantship for the following fall and not the spring semester.

Applying Electronically:
(U.S. Citizens)

If you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, and you wish to submit your application electronically, you must follow these steps:

1.  Print the checklist, which can be found by clicking on: Checklist for Completing Your Application (Domestic).

 2.  Complete the Women's & Gender Studies Program Entrance Form.

 3.  Complete the UNI Graduate Application Form online or print the form and mail it to the Office of Admissions, GIL 002, Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0018 (required of all applicants to any graduate program at UNI.) Please note that you can submit this form electronically, but if you are not a UNI undergraduate, you will also need to mail in a $50 application fee.)

 4.  If you are applying for an assistantship, complete the application forms for Graduate Assistantships and Tuition Scholarships.  Please note that these forms can be downloaded, but they must be submitted by mail.

 5.  To be official, the transcripts must be mailed DIRECTLY to UNI by the issuing institution. If YOU mail the transcripts, even in sealed envelopes stamped by the school, they will NOT be considered official. Faxes, sealed copies of personal, or "issued to student" transcripts are also considered unofficial and will not be used to evaluate your transfer work. Request that official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions you have attended be sent directly from these institutions to:  Office of the Registrar, University of Northern Iowa, Cedar Falls, Iowa  50614-0006.

*Please note that transcripts sent to the Women's & Gender Studies office or submitted by the student will not be accepted.

6.  Request that two confidential letters of reference be sent to:

Office of Admissions - Grad Admissions
002 Gilchrist Hall
University of Northern Iowa
Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0018

7.  Submit a Statement of Purpose and a Writing Sample.

Applying Electronically:
(International Students)

International students should use the online International Application for Admission or the print application on the International Admission website at (go to bottom of page for link to print application).

Checklist for Completing Your International Application

If you have any questions or comments, please e-mail them to

Application Fee:

Starting, Monday, October 14, 2002, students who complete the electronic domestic Application for Admission to Graduate Study have the option of paying the application fee by credit card or by check.

For UNI's Career Center's web site click on: