College of Social and Behavioral Sciences

Discover Social Work at UNI 1
Discover Social Work at UNI 2
Discover Social Work at UNI 3
Discover Social Work at UNI 4
Discover Social Work at UNI 5

Social Work Licensure


You will need to register with both the ASWB for the exam, and with the State of Iowa, Division of Public Health-IA Board of Social Work, for the license.  See the following IDPH site.  Candidates now need to create an online profile.

Students interested in taking the licensing exam early, (this means no earlier than the 1st week of the semester of your last semester), email Donna Raubs ( the request that you want to take the exam prior to graduating.  The Social Work Department has a prepared letter that Dr. Juby will sign.  This is sent to you to add to their application materials.  

There are licensing exam prep materials located in the SW office for checkout.  Go through Donna Raubs to check one out.  


1.  Iowa Board of Social Work licensure - fill out an application with them:

2.  Contact the Association of Social Work Boards - pay the testing fee to them:

3.  Arrange details to sit for a particular date - make an appointment with the Pearson VUE Test Center (the company that administers the test). Test is the same for every state. You make your appointment with them for one of their testing sites. Find out more/make an appointment:



So you need to get your license?  Follow these steps!

ASWB (Association of Social Work Boards) Examination Candidate Handbook

Directory of Black Hawk/Bremer/Buchanan County Licensed Mental Health Professionals (Let Jenny Becker know of any changes needed)

Scheduling a Licensing Exam



UNI does not offer exam classes but you can review the NASW Iowa information for prep courses, etc.:


Other Resources:

ASWB Clinical SW Exam Prep YouTube Video (4 hours, 17 minutes) - posted 9-4-19

Bureau of Professional Licensure, Iowa Dep't of Public Health, Nov 2014 Powerpoint Presentation

NASW, Nov 2014 Powerpoint Presentation

BASW Video Presentation

MSW Video Presentation