COVID-19 Pandemic Resources for Social Work Students and Professionals
Social workers are uniquely situated in disaster and emergency situations to assist communities with their immediate response, coping strategies, and processing after the fact. The UNI Department of Social Work collected several resources, links to more information that can help social work students and professionals during this challenging time, and opportunities for support in BSW and MSW field seminars.
For information and updates about UNI-specific COVID-19 announcements, please access UNI Forward Together.
- Weems, C., Carrion, V., McCurdy, B., & Scozzafava, M. (2020). Increased Risk of Suicide Due to Economic and Social Impacts of Social Distancing Measures to Address the Covid-19 Pandemic: A Forecast. 10.13140/RG.2.2.21601.45926.
Read the paper at this link.
- That Discomfort You're Feeling is Grief by Scott Berinato (2020).
Read the Harvard Business Review article at this link.
- The Office of U.S. Representative Cindy Axne (IA-3) has put together an extensive resource guide including what has changes with the COVID-19 legislation.
Check out the Resource Guide here.
- International Initiative for Mental Health Leadership and International Initiative for Disability Leadership developed a guide for "Supporting Frontline and Mental Health and Addiction Staff in a COVID-19 Environment"
Read the Guide here.
- Intimate Partner Violence and Child Abuse Considerations during COVID-19.
Read the Guide and check out the Resource List from SAMHSA here.
Iowa Department of Public Health "Resources for Supporting Underserved Populations". Click the link below for Iowa-specific resources and guides for working with specific populations:
- General Resources, Multiple Languages, People with Disabilities, LGBTQ+, Youth/ Teen/ Older Adult, Undocumented Persons, Homelessness, Domestic Violence
- Basic Psychosocial Skills- an illustrated guide for COVID first responders
Coping and Therapy Specific:
Movement and Physical Health:
Mental Health Crisis Support:
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, 1-800-273-TALK (8255) or Click for Live Online Chat
Field Seminar Meetings for UNI Social Work Students
Jenny Becker, Director of Field Instruction, is hosting weekly field sessions through the end of the Spring 2020 semester on Fridays (April 10th, April 17th, April 24th, and May 1st, 2020). Topics include sharing of field requirements, resources, and support. Zoom and phone links are sent to current interns weekly.
Students not currently in field can email Jenny at firstname.lastname@example.org if they want to be included.
The sessions are as follows:
BASW interns (current and future) - 9:00-10:00 a.m.
MSW Foundation interns (current and future) - 10:00-11:00 a.m.
MSW Specialization interns (current and future) - 11:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.