College of Social and Behavioral Sciences

Social Work Certificates

Social Work Certificates

Child Welfare


Adult hands baby feetThe UNI Child Welfare Certificate is intended to prepare social work majors to competently work in a variety of settings, including child protective services, adoption, foster care, youth services, and residential facilities (such as the Iowa Department of Human Services, Bremwood, Four Oaks). Students complete three required courses pertaining to child welfare policy and practice, problems in juvenile and family law, and a senior internship requirement in a child welfare setting.  Not including field instruction (11-15 hours), five (5) courses are required to complete the Certificate.  Based on your interest you select one course from the following: Conflict Resolution or Addictions Treatment.  You also select one course from the following: Abnormal Psychology, Child and Adolescent Psychopathology, and Therapeutic Communication.  To be awarded the Child Welfare Certificate you must graduate with a Bachelor of Arts with a major in social work.  For further information contact the Department of Social Work.


Conflict Resolution


Talk, listen, resolveConflict and dispute can be viewed on both the macro and micro system levels. It can be interpersonal, as in the area of marriage or family dynamics; or organizational, as in labor, racial/ethnic, or international relations. The Certificate in Conflict Resolution focuses on understanding the roots of conflict, as well as its management or resolution. This certificate is designed for students working toward a baccalaureate degree, and whose anticipated careers may provide opportunities for conflict analysis and resolution. Examples of related majors include Social Work, Sociology, Criminology, Political Science, Public Administration, Global Studies, Communication Studies, Business Management and Education. For further information contact the Department of Social Work.



Substance Abuse Counseling


Hands inThe UNI Substance Abuse Counseling Certificate is designed to prepare Social Work majors for the field of substance abuse treatment. Completion of the educational requirements for this certificate partially fulfills state certification requirements. To receive the Substance Abuse Counseling Certificate, a student must complete the requirements for the Social Work major (including graduation with the B.A.) and specific course work and field instruction.


For further information contact Jenny Becker at; 319-273-7881; Sabin 241