The long term care administration internship may be the most important part of the Gerontology: LTC Administration major at UNI.
Students are encouraged to plan ahead for their internships. Having experience working or volunteering at a nursing home may help students to obtain an administrative internship. Students can complete internship hours in the fall, spring, or summer semesters.
The long term care administration track requires a 720 hours internship (9 credit hours) to be completed at a long term care facility. 80 hours will be completed in 9 areas of long term care.
You must complete 80 DOCUMENTED hours in each of the following 9 areas (in any order):
- administration organization
- business administration
- legal aspects & govt.
- human resource
- environmental services
- social services
Students are responsible for arranging their own internships but should discuss possible placements with their adviser early in the semester before the internship. Previous internship sites have included the following:
- Western Home, Cedar Falls
- Ravenwood Nursing and Rehab, Waterloo
- New Aldaya, Cedar Falls
- Friendship Village, Waterloo
- New Hampton Nursing and Rehab, New Hampton
- Scottish Rite Park, Des Moines
- Westhaven Community, Boone
- WIndsor Nursing and Rehab, Cedar Falls
- Cedar Falls Nursing and Rehab, Cedar Falls
- Pinaccle, Cedar Falls
Long term care administration internships must be completed within the state of Iowa, but do not need to be competed in the Cedar Falls/Waterloo area.
Students must complete an internship in order to qualify for the State of Iowa Examination for Nursing Home Administrators.
What You Need to Know About Finding an Internship:
- In order to be eligible to be a nursing home administrator in the state of Iowa, you must complete your entire internship in Iowa. However, it does not need to be completed in Cedar Falls. Many students do their internships in Cedar Falls or Waterloo because they are taking coursework on campus while interning.
- You must do your internship at a facility that has more than 25 beds.
- Your internship must be completed under a nursing home administrator who is in good standing and has been continuously licensed for at least two years.
- The administrator at the facility you intern at CANNOT be a family member.
- Effective in 2005, you may be compensated for your internship hours. However, most internships in LTC administration are unpaid.
- You are strongly encouraged to have a polished cover letter and resume to present to potential internship sites. The Office of Career Services can assist you in editing your cover letter and resume.
For more information, feel free to email:
Dr. Elaine M. Eshbaugh
217 Latham Hall
Cedar Falls IA, 50614-0332
Phone: (319) 273-6083