College of Social and Behavioral Sciences

Advising in Family Services

Each Family Services major works closely with a faculty adviser during his or her time as a major. It is your adviser’s goal to help ensure that you have a successful and rewarding experience as a major.


An advising hold is placed on each Family Service major’s record prior to the period of registration for the upcoming semester. Before an advisee is scheduled to register for classes, the student should schedule an appointment with his or her adviser.

We encourage students to be proactive by reviewing their academic report and major requirements BEFORE talking to their adviser. During that meeting, the adviser and student will review the student’s plan of study, update the student’s advising file, and ensure that the student is successfully working toward his or her academic goals.  After that meeting, the advising hold will be removed.


Declaring a major in Family Services is simple. A student can either set up a time to meet with a faculty member in the Family Services area or complete a Declaration of Major form in the main office of the School of Applied Human Sciences (235 Latham Hall).

A minimum 2.4 cumulative GPA and departmental approval is required for declaration of this major. If a student does not meet the GPA requirement, he or she can declare a Prospective Family Services major. Prospective majors are assigned advisers.


  • Keep an advising file with a current copy of your academic audit and resources related to your academic progress.
  • Do not wait until the last minute to contact your adviser regarding registration. 
  • Review your file and explore what courses are available BEFORE meeting with your adviser. Come to your advising appointment with a hypothetical course schedule to discuss with your adviser. Be pro-active!
  • Make a list of questions for your adviser before your advising appointment. Be prepared!
  • As a courtesy to your adviser and to other students, be on time for all advising appointments. If you are late, your adviser may not be able to see you, which may result in a delay in your registration. Of course, you should always contact your adviser (or any faculty member) ASAP by phone or email if you are unable to make an appointment. 
  • Register as close as possible to your registration time. If you put off registering, you risk not being able to enroll in the courses you need, and this could delay your graduation.
  • Family Service majors must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.4 to enroll in Family Life Education (FAM SERV 4178), Professional Practice (FAM SERV 4190), to complete an internship, and to graduate. Please discuss concerns about your GPA with your adviser.
  • Students must earn a "C" in classes for coursework to count toward the Family Service major. A grade lower than a "C" will not satisfy major requirements.
  • Take Family Relationships (FAM SERV 1020) and your developmental course (FAM SERV 1055 or PSYCH 2202) early in your academic career because they are pre-reqs for several courses within the major. 
  • Record analysts are available in the Registrar's Office. We recommend contacting your records analyst the semester BEFORE you plan to graduate (after you have registered for courses for the LAST time) to make sure everything is in order for graduation. The record analyst for Family Services is Carol Squires.
  • You are responsible for knowing the procedures and policies of the Family Studies program. If you do not understand something, please ask your adviser for clarification.