All application materials are now available on-line and described below. If you have any questions about the process or the program, contact Dr. Helen C. Harton, Coordinator of Graduate Studies.
To begin your application process, click here. (https://www.grad.uni.edu/admission). If you haven’t previously attended or applied to UNI, you may have to set up an account (instructions provided). The system will lead you through the information you need to provide. You can log in and provide some information and complete the application at a later date.
The following types of information are required and will be reviewed with your application:
1. Three names of people willing to write letters of recommendation for you--You will be asked to provide contact information requesting these letters, which will then be submitted electronically by your recommenders. Letters of recommendation should come from former instructors and those engaged in or familiar with the field of psychology.
2. A resume or CV (uploaded) that includes the following information:
Presentations and/or publications
Relevant work experience
Relevant extracurricular activities and/or psychology-related public service
Awards, distinctions, honors, and/or skills
3. An applicant statement (uploaded). Submit a personal statement (generally 1-2 pages) that addresses the following areas:
Background and preparation for pursuing a graduate degree in psychology
Reasons for seeking a degree at UNI
Research experience and interests
4. Application fee ($60 for US students—waived for UNI students and alumni--and $75 for international students)
You should also send the following items directly to:
Office of Admissions - Grad Admissions
002 Gilchrist Hall
University of Northern Iowa
Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0018
5. Official copies of transcripts from all colleges attended (must come directly from your previous institution)
6. Official GRE scores (general test is required; subject test is optional; must come directly from ETS)
If you are an international student, you will also need to submit
7. An English proficiency score (must be sent directly from the testing provider. IELTS and TOEFL are accepted. There may also be cases (e.g., you attended college in the United States) where these tests may not be required. Please email email@example.com if you think this may apply to you.
8. A financial statement (see further instruction on the application form)
9. A copy of your passport (uploaded)
The application deadline for full consideration of financial aid is February 1st. Offers of admission will begin in early February and continue on a rolling basis until early May. All applications completed by April 30 will be given full consideration, but early application is strongly encouraged.
Applications will not be reviewed until they are complete. Applications completed after the deadlines will be forwarded to the Graduate Admissions Committee, but admission of these applicants will be contingent upon availability of space in the program at that time. Graduate students are only accepted into the program for entry in the fall semester and on a full-time basis. The program takes two years to complete.
The M.A. program in psychology admits 8-12 students each year.