DIAGRAM OF A FIELD
Public History puts historians to work facilitating public interaction with the past. Public historians work to research and interpret the past for and with public audiences.
Public History depends upon an interdisciplinary set of skills to create public engagement with the past. These skills include digital literacy, mapping and spatial analysis, interviewing, cataloging and archiving, interpretation and curation, construction and preservation, sustainability, and an understanding of how the public uses the past.
Graduates in History with an undergraduate certificate or a graduate emphasis in public history have gone on to work in a variety of venues. Below is a list of recent placements.
- John Deere Tractor and Engine Museum
- Good Samaratin Society Corporate Archives
- US Teaching Assistantship at Austrian Secondary Schools
- University of Texas, El Paso History Doctoral Program
- Colorado State University History Master of Arts Program
- Indiana University-Purdue University at Indianapolis Public History Master of Arts Program
- St. Cloud State University History Master of Arts Program
- Clinton County Historical Society
- University of Illinois Master of Science Library and Information Science Program