Professor of Geography; Academic Director, GeoTREE Center; Director, ARCTICenter
Professor of Geography; Academic Director, GeoTREE Center; Director, ARCTICenter
Ph.D. University of Toronto (Economic Geog/GIS)
Ph.D. Herzen University (Spatial Demography)
M.A. University of Northern Iowa (Geography)
B.S./B.A. Herzen University (Geography and Biology)
Human Geography: economic geography, population geography, international/regional development
GIScience: GIS applications, spatial analysis and modeling
Arctic social and socio-ecological systems, sustainability, human development and global change in remote communities, Indigenous people, Russia, Canada
Human Geography: economic geography, spatial population analysis, regional analysis and planning, human capital and labor dynamics, international/regional development, human dimensions of climate change
GIScience: GIS and statistical techniques for advanced spatial analysis and modeling, socio-economic aspects of land use-land cover change, applied remote sensing
Grants and Projects (total support: > $8 million)
Measuring Urban Sustainability in Transition (MUST) (NSF)
Frozen Commons: Change, Resilience and Sustainability in the Arctic (NSF)
RAPID: Tracking the Spatiotemporal Dynamics of the COVID-19 Pandemic in the Arctic (COVITA)
ARC-NAV: Arctic Robust Communities-Navigating Adaptation to Variability (NSF)
Arctic PIRE: Promoting Sustainability in Arctic Cities (NSF)
Taimyr Reindeer Migration ReAnalysis (TAMARA) (NSF)
ASUS: Arctic Sustainability Synthesis (NSF)
RCN Arctic-COAST (NSF)
RCN-SEES Arctic-FROST: Arctic Frontiers of Sustainability (NSF)
Atlas of Russian Census 2010 (NCEEER)
REU Site: Interdisciplinary Research Experience in Hyperspectral Imaging (NSF)
Creative Arctic: Creative Capital and Development in the Arctic (NSF)
3D Intelligent Dasymetric Mapping (NASA ISGC)
Arctic Social Indicators & Arctic Human Development Report (NCM)
Taimyr Reindeer and Environmental Change (NASA ISGC)
Resources and Sustainable Development in the Arctic (SSHRC)
3D Intelligent Dasymetric Mapping (NASA ISGC)
Hyperspectral Imaging of Arctic Environments (NSF)
Wind Resources and Turbine Placement in Iowa (NSF)
Climate Change and Arctic Wildfires (NASA ISGC)
Books, edited volumes and monographs
Petrov, A. and Vlasova, T. (eds.) Monitoring Arctic Sustainability: Methods, Indicators, Monitoring Systems and Experiences. Sustainability. (Special Issue)
Graybill, J. and Petrov, A. (eds.) 2020. Arctic Sustainability, Key Methodologies and Knowledge Domains: A Synthesis of Knowledge I. Routledge.
Tysiachnouk, M. Petrov, A. and Gassiy, V. (eds.) 2020. Benefit Sharing in the Arctic: Extractive Industries and Arctic People. MDPI.
Petrov, A.N., BurnSilver, S., Chapin III, F.S., Fondahl, G., Graybill, J., Keil, K., Nilsson, A.E., Riedlsperger, R. and Schweitzer, P. 2017. Arctic Sustainability Research: Past, Present and Future. Routledge.
Larsen, J., Schweitzer, P. and Petrov, A. (eds.) 2015. Arctic Social Indicators ASI II: Implementation. TemaNord: Copenhagen.
Peer-reviewed articles and book chapters
- Petrov, A. N., Welford, M., Golosov, N.*, DeGroote, J., Devlin, M., Degai, T., & Savelyev, A. 2021. Lessons on COVID-19 from Indigenous communities of the Arctic. Nature Medicine (forthcoming) (editor reviewed contribution)
- Kuklina V., Bilichenko, I., Bogdanov, V., Kobylkin, D., Petrov A., and Shiklomanov, N. 2021 Informal road networks and sustainability of Siberian boreal forest landscapes: Case study of the Vershina Khandy taiga. Environmental Research Letters. (accepted)
- Petrov, A., Rozanova Smith, M., Krivorotov, A., Klyuchnovoka, E., Mikheev, V., Pelyasov, A. and Zamyatina, N. 2021. Russian Arctic by 2050: Developing Integrated Scenarios. Arctic. 74, 3, 306-322
- Petrov, A. N., Welford, M., Golosov, N.,* DeGroote, J., Devlin, M., Degai, T., & Savelyev, A. 2021. The “second wave” of the COVID-19 pandemic in the Arctic: regional and temporal dynamics. International Journal of Circumpolar Health, 80(1), 1925446.
- Rozanova Smith, M., Petrov, A., Korkina Williams, V.* et al. 2021. Empowerment and Fate Control. In Gender Equality in the Arctic, Phase 3. Akureyri, Iceland, 224-267.
- Degai, T. and Petrov, A. 2021. Rethinking Arctic Sustainable Development Agenda through Indigenizing UN Sustainable Development Goals. International Journal of Sustainable Development & World Ecology. DOI: 10.1080/13504509.2020. 1868608
- Vlasova, T., Petrov, A. N., & Volkov, S. 2021. Rethinking Sustainability Monitoring in the Arctic by Linking Resilience and Sustainable Development in Socially-Oriented Observations: A Perspective. Sustainability, 13(1), 177.
- Petrov, A., Hinzman, L., Kullerud, L., Degai, T., Holmberg, L., and Yefimenko, A. 2020. Building Resilient Arctic Science amid the COVID-19 Pandemic. Nature Communications. 11, 6278. (invited contribution)
- Petrov, A., Welford, M., Golosov, N.*, DeGroote, J., Degai, T., and Savelyev, A. 2020 Spatiotemporal Dynamics of the COVID-19 Pandemic in the Arctic: Early Data and Emerging Trends. International Journal of Circumpolar Health. 79(1): 1835251.
- Tysiachniouk, M. S., Horowitz, L. S., Korkina, V. V.*, & Petrov, A. N. 2020. Indigenous-led grassroots engagements with oil pipelines in the US and Russia: the NoDAPL and Komi movements. Environmental Politics, 1-23.
- Tysiachniouk, M. S., Petrov, A. N., & Gassiy, V. 2020. Towards Understanding Benefit Sharing between Extractive Industries and Indigenous/Local Communities in the Arctic. Resources. 9(4), 48
- Kuklina, V., Petrov, A., Krasnoshtanova, N., and Bogdanov, V. 2020. Mobilizing Benefit Sharing through Transportation Infrastructure: Informal Roads, Extractive Industries and Benefit Sharing in the Irkutsk Oil and Gas Region, Russia. Resources. 9(3), 21
- Petrov, A. 2020. Fate Control and Sustainability in Arctic Cities: Recasting Fate Control Indicators for Arctic Urban Communities. In Orttung, R. (ed.) Urban Sustainability in the Arctic. Measuring Progress in Circumpolar Cities. Berghahn, New York.
- Graybill, J. and Petrov, A. 2020. Introduction to Arctic Sustainability: A Synthesis of Knowledge. In Graybill, J. and Petrov, A. (eds.) Arctic Sustainability, Key Methodologies and Knowledge Domains: A Synthesis of Knowledge. Volume 1. Routledge
- Kofinas, G., BurnSilver, S., and Petrov, A. 2020. Methodological Challenges and Innovations in Arctic Community Sustainability Research. In Graybill, J. and Petrov, A. (eds.) Arctic Sustainability, Key Methodologies and Knowledge Domains: A Synthesis of Knowledge. Volume 1. Routledge
- Larsen, J. and Petrov. A. 2020. Economy of the Arctic. In Ken S. Coates and Carin Holroyd (Eds): The Palgrave Handbook of Arctic Policy and Politics, Palgrave Macmillan, 79-95
- Petrov, A. and Tysiachniouk, M. 2019. Benefit Sharing in the Arctic: A Systematic View. Resources. 8(3), 155
- Pavlenko, V., Petrov, A., Kutsenko, Yu., and Detter, G. 2019. Indigenous Peoples of the Russian Arctic: Problems and Prospects of Development. Ekologiya Cheloveka. 18. 26-33 [in Russian]
- Petrov, A. 2019. Russia’s Arctic Policies: Historical Legacies, Current Implementation and International Cooperation. In Corell, R. et al. (eds). The Arctic in World Affairs. East-West Center-KMI Press.
- Petrov, A., Berman, M., Graybill, J., Cavin, P.*, Cooney, M.*, Kuklina, V., & Rasmussen, R. O. (2018). Measuring impacts: A review of frameworks, methodologies and indicators for assessing socio-economic impacts of resource activity in the Arctic. In Southcott, C., Abele, F., Natcher, D. C., & Parlee, B. (Eds.). Resources and sustainable development in the arctic. Routledge.
- Petrov, A.N., M.S. Rozanova , E.M. Klyuchnikova, A.K. Krivorotov , N.Yu. Zamyatina , A.N. Pilyasov, L. Brigham , M.M. Chuprov, M.A. Filippova, A.G. Gretsov, T. Heleniak, et al. (12/2018). Contours of the Russia's Arctic futures: experience of integrated scenario-building till 2050 [in Russian]. Proceedings of the Russian State Hydrometeorological University, 53, 156-171. [in Russian]
- Tysiachniouk, M., Petrov, A., Kuklina, V., and Krasnoshtanova, N. 2018. Between Soviet Legacy and Corporate Social Responsibility: Emerging Benefit Sharing Frameworks in the Irkutsk Oil Region, Russia. Sustainability. 10, 3334
- Petrov, A. 2018. Re-Tracing Development Paths: Exploring the Origins and Nature of the 20th Century’s Northern Development Paradigms in Russia and Canada. Arctic Yearbook 2018.
- Petrov, A. 2018. Inuvialuit Social Indicators: Applying Arctic Social Indicators Framework to Study Well-Being in the Inuvialuit Communities. Northern Review. 47, 167-185
- Petrov, A., Zbeed, S.* and Cavin, P.* 2018. Arctic Knowledge Economy: Geographical Aspects of Knowledge and Technology Production in the Arctic. Arctic and North. 30. [English and Russian versions]
- Tyasiachniouk, M. and Petrov, A. 2018. Benefit Sharing in the Arctic Energy Sector: Perspectives on Corporate Policies and Practices in Northern Russia and Alaska. Energy Research and Social Science, 39, 29-34
- Masrur, A.,* Petrov, A. and DeGroote, J. 2017. Circumpolar Spatio-Temporal Patterns and Contributing Climatic Factors of Wildfire Activity in the Arctic Tundra from 2001 to 2015. Environmental Research Letters, 104244.R2 https://doi.org/10.1088/1748-9326/aa9a76
- Tyasiachniouk, M. and Petrov, A. 2017. Benefit Sharing in the Arctic Energy Sector: Perspectives on Corporate Policies and Practices in Northern Russia and Alaska. Energy Research and Social Science DOI 10.1016/j.erss. 2017.10.014
- Zbeed, S.* and Petrov, A. 2017. Inventing the New North: Patents & Knowledge Economy in Alaska. Arctic Yearbook 2017. Akyreuri.
- Petrov, A. and Cavin, P.* 2017. Creating New Path through Creative Capital: Theories and Evidence from the Northern Periphery. Journal of Rural and Community Development, 12(2-3), 127-142.
- Petrov, A.N., BurnSilver, S., Chapin III, F.S., Fondahl, G., Graybill, J., Keil, K., Nilsson, A.E., Riedlsperger, R. and Schweitzer, P.,2016. Arctic Sustainability Research: Towards a New Agenda. Polar Geography, 39(3), 165-178.
- Petrov, A. 2016. Exploring Arctic’s ‘Other Economies:’ Knowledge, Creativity and the New Frontier. Polar Journal, 6(1), 56-68
- Saxinger, G, Petrov, A., Kuklina, V, Carson D. and Krasnoshtanova, N. 2016. Boom back or blow back? Perspectives on urban growth in northern resource regions. In Taylor, A. et al (eds.) Settlements on the Edge. Elgar Publishers.
- Human capital and Sustainable Development in the Arctic: Towards Intellectual and Empirical Framing. In G. Fondahl and G. Wilson (eds). Northern Sustainabilities: Vulnerability, Resilience, and Prosperity in the Circumpolar World Springer. 2015.
- Human Development in the New Arctic. In Larsen, J. Evengaard, B, and Paasche, Ö (eds.) The New Arctic. 2015. with J. Larsen †
- Education and Human Development. In Arctic Human Development Report II. Stefansson Arctic Institute/Nordic Council of Ministers, Akureyri, Iceland. 2014, 349-399 with D. Hirshberg†
- Creative Arctic: Towards Measuring Arctic’s Creative capital. In Heininen, L. (ed.) Arctic Yearbook. 2014 Northern Research Forum, Akureyri, Iceland. 2014. 149-166.
- Unanticipated Consequences: The Impact of a Smoke-Free Law on Assaults Around Bars. Criminal Justice Review, 2014. 0734016814530147. With S. Briggs & S. Peterson*
- Creative Alaska: Creative Capital and Economic Development Opportunities in Alaska. Polar Record, 49(4), 2013, 348-361with Philip Cavin*
- Northwest Territories, Canada. In Arctic Social Indicators II. Stefansson Arctic Institute/Norden, Akureyri, Iceland. 2015 with Leslie King & Philip Cavin*, 85-121
- Introduction to Arctic Social Indicators: Tracking change in human development in the Arctic. In Larsen, J., Schweitzer P., & Petrov, A. (eds.) Arctic Social Indicators II. Stefansson Arctic Institute/Norden, Akureyri, Iceland. 2015 with J. Larsen, P. Schweitzer & G. Fondahl, 10-46
- Conclusion: Measuring Change in Human Development in the Arctic. In Arctic Social Indicators II. Larsen, J., Schweitzer P., & Petrov, A. (eds.) Arctic Social Indicators II. Stefansson Arctic Institute/Norden, Akureyri, Iceland. 2015 with J. Larsen, P. Schweitzer, 304-324
- Using Machine-Learning Algorithms for Wind Turbine Site Suitability Modeling in Iowa, USA. Wind Energy 2014. with Jordan Wessling*
- The North. Balancing Tradition and Change. In R. Tremblay & H. Chicoine (eds.). The Geographies of Canada. Brussels: P.I.E. Peter Lang, 2013. 393-452 with G. Laidler, 393-452
- Indigenous Minorities and Post-Socialist Transition: A review of recent Aboriginal population trends in the Russian North. In Romanuc A. & Trovato, F. (eds.). Aboriginal Populations – Social, Demographic, and Epidemiological Dimensions. University of Alberta Press: Edmonton 2013†, 497-527.
- One Hundred Years of Dasymetric Mapping: Back to the Origins. TheCartographic Journal 2012 49(3), 256-264.
- Mapping Long-Term Spatial Trends of the Taimyr Wild Reindeer Population. Rangifer, 32(1), 2012, 57-63 with A. Pestereva, L. Kolpashchikov and V. Mikhailov
- Redrawing the Margin: Re-examining Regional Multichotomies and Conditions of Marginality in Canada, Russia and their Northern Frontiers. Regional Studies, 2011 DOI: 10.1080/00343404.2010.485180 (printed: Regional Studies, 46(1), 59-81)
- Beyond Spillovers: Interrogating Innovation and Creativity in the Peripheries. In H. Bathelt, M. Feldman, and D. F. Kogler (eds.). Beyond Territory: Dynamic Geographies of Innovation and Knowledge Creation. 2011. Routledge, 168-190
- Post-staple bust: Modeling economic effects of mine closures and post-mine demographic shifts in an arctic economy (Yukon). Polar Geography, 33(1/2), 2010 39-61
- Migration and socio-economic well-being in the Russian North: Interrelations, regional differentiation, recent trends and emerging issues In Huskey, L. & Southcott, (eds.). Migration in the Circumpolar North: New Concepts and Patterns. 2010 CCI Press, Edmonton, AB; 163-192 with T. Vlasova
- Fate Control (Chapter 7). In Arctic Social Indicators. Stefansson Arctic Institute, Akureyri, Iceland, 2010, 131-148 with G. Fondahl, J. Dahl and R. Fjellmann.
- Quantifying spatiotemporal dynamics of agricultural landscapes in diverging development contexts using remotely sensed data and landscape metrics. Geocarto International, 24(3), 2009, 133-140. with R. Sugumaran
- Setting the record straight: On the Russian origins of dasymetric mapping. Cartographica – The International Journal for Geographic Information and Geovisualization , 2008, 43(2), 133-136
- Lost Generations? Reviewing Indigenous population dynamic in the Russian North during the Post-Soviet period. Canadian Studies in Population, 2008, 35(2)
- 18. Human Geography: Conceptual status and self-identification. Izvestiya Rossiiskoi Akademii Nauk, Seriya Geograficheskaya. [Transactions of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Geography Series] with Yu.N. Gladky, 2008, 3 [in Russian]
- A talent in the cold? Creative class and the future of the Canadian North. ARCTIC – Journal of the Arctic Institute of North America, 2008, 61(2) , 162-176
- A look beyond metropolis: Exploring creative class in the Canadian periphery. Canadian Journal of Regional Science. 2007, 30(3) 359-386
- Revising the Harris-Todaro framework to model labour migration from the Canadian northern frontier. Journal of Population Research. 2007, 24(2), 185-206
- Contract federalism? New public management and reforming Aboriginal public employment and training services in the Canadian North. In John F. Young (ed.) Federalism, Power and the North: Governance reforms in Russia and Canada, CERES, Toronto. 2007, 107-131. with R. DiFrancesco
- The structure of the geoelectoral space in the two-party system (2004 US Presidential elections). Izvestiya Russkogo Geograficheskogo Obshchestva. [Transactions of the Russian Geographic Society] 2006, 138(6), 47-58 with V. A. Dobroskok [in Russian]
- Applications of LISA-analysis for studying spatial processes in human geography. Izvestiya Russkogo Geograficheskogo Obshchestva. 2005, 137(6), 65-71 with V. A. Dobroskok [in Russian].
- Monitoring and modeling cropland loss in rapidly growing urban and depopulating rural counties using remotely sensed data and GIS. Geocarto International. 2005, 20(4), 45-52 with R. Sugumaran
- The effect of spatial resolution of remotely sensed data in dasymetric mapping of residential areas. GIScience and Remote Sensing, 2005, 42(2), 113-130 with A. Bozheva and R. Sugumaran