Admission and Application Information:
The Department of Geography MA curriculum is designed for graduate students to be admitted in the Fall semester. For full consideration (admissions and funding) all application materials must be received by the Fall admission deadline of February 1. Applications received after February 1 are not guaranteed to given full consideration.
- On a very limited basis, the graduate committee may consider students for Spring admission. Please contact the graduate coordinator to discuss Spring admission. All application materials are required by November 1, consideration for funding will only be on an as available basis.
The application package for prospective students will include:
- Application fee
- Transcripts of both undergraduate and graduate coursework are required
- Overall undergraduate GPA of at least 3.00
- A two-page essay outlining interests in Geography, reasons for application to the MA program at the University of Northern Iowa, and future career goals.
- The Department encourages applicants to identify areas of specialization and name specific faculty member(s) they desire to work with at UNI.
- Students are also encouraged to contact those faculty member(s) they have identified and introduce themselves.
- At least two letters of recommendation
- Assistantship and Scholarship Applications (optional)
- Full instructions can be found on the Grad College Application Website
- The full application is available the University Admissions Portal
International applicants to the program have additional requirements and separate deadlines:
- The minimum English proficiency scores...TOEFL: 79 or IELTS: 6.5
- See International Student Section on the Grad College Application Website
- Also, the Office of International Admissions
Some application materials may be directly uploaded as part of the online application. All others must be sent DIRECTLY to firstname.lastname@example.org and should include the CatID generated by your application.